Urban Scholars/BLOOM program teaches units in:
- Theory Evaluation—Assess problems within their community or school
- Research—Conduct surveys and seek out interviews from peers, community members, civic leaders, and school staff
- Data Collection—Documentary filmmaking
- Draw Conclusions—Create an action plan
- Communicate Results—Present findings
Through this process, students learn how to become better writers, gain skills as documentary filmmakers, and engage in academic activities at the college level. Each student identifies, plans, and executes a project within their community that is manageable and can be accomplised within the school year. This type of engagement brings the academic experience to life. SJLI also provides Urban Scholars with academic support such as homework assistance, academic counseling, and college preparatory education.