Apply to Become an SJLI Youth Justice Fellow
CALL FOR APPLICANTS!
YOUTH JUSTICE FELLOWSHIP 2021-22
COMMUNITY BUILDING | INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL | RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
The Youth Justice Fellowship (YJF) at the Social Justice Learning Institute is an intensive leadership development program that engages an annual cohort of 10 youth leaders in community-based organizing and action research over the course of 12 months. This year’s research topic will focus on State-Sanctioned Violence and Alternatives to Community Safety.
Participants will receive rigorous training in the academic and organizing skills needed to be transformative leaders. This is a “whole-person” immersive experience that will serve them personally and in their community work for the rest of their lives. They will also build lifelong friendships, as well as do the community and personal work of healing individual and collective trauma. Each cohort critique and diagnose the harmful effects of existing institutional models and practices concerning their research focus. They will then investigate, analyze, and develop policy recommendations on the issue.
In parallel, we will experience the joy and depth of our own learning community. Participants will get to explore their personal passion and drive for social justice, they will get to meet other leaders and build community beyond their home place. We will also have a lot of fun! We will travel, play, and bond while we are learning and our lives will be changed for the better as a result. If this feels like a fit for you, join us for this one-of-a-kind opportunity!
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete your application by clicking on the following link:
You will need to upload a cover letter and your resume/cv
Applications will be accepted through Friday, June 4, 2021, 11:59 pm (PST)
If you have any questions, please email Gabriel Regalado at email@example.com
WHAT ARE THE PROGRAM OFFERINGS AND BENEFITS?
- Peer-to-peer networking and professional development
- A personal laptop to keep
- Support stipends of $2,500 for each fellow
- Skill development in the following areas:
- Research competency in data collection and analysis
- Presentation and public speaking
- College-level critical literacy & writing proficiency
- Community organizing & power building
- Team building and collaborative work
- Immersive traveling experiences:
- 3-day healing retreat near L.A, (location TBD). – Fall 2021
- International Tour (location TBD) – Spring 2022
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- Youth ages 18-25
- Participants should live in L.A. county during the program
- Proven passion for social justice
- Availability to participate in a time-intensive program for a full year beginning July 2021
- Ability/Eligibility to travel internationally
TIME AND COMMITMENT (Between July 2021 and June 2022)
- Attend 3-hour sessions every other Friday (mostly virtual)
- Attend in-person immersions
- July 2021: L.A., Orientation 5 days (non-residential)
- October 2021: California. Location to be determined, 4 days (overnight at a retreat center)
- January 2022: L.A., 4 days (non-residential)
- March 2022: International learning trip*, 7 days (overnight)
- June 2022: L.A., 3 days (non-residential)
- Sign a commitment letter agreeing to miss no more than 2 Friday meetings, and to attend all of the in-person immersion meetings.